Simple Queue Service (SQS) Deep-Dive
March 9, 2021 / Eternal Team
- SQS is a Polling service in AWS.
- SQS is fast, reliable and fully managed message queue service.
- It is a web service that gives you access to a message queue that store message waiting to be processed.
- It offers a reliable, highly scalable hosted queue for storing message between server.
- It allows the decoupling of application components such that a failure in one component does not cause a bigger problem to application functionality.
- Using SQS, you can no longer need a highly available message cluster or the burden of running it.
- You can delete all messages in SQS without deleting the SQS queue itself.
- You can use an application on EC2 instance to read and process the SQS queue message.
- The application on EC2 instance can process the SQS message than post the results to other SQS queue or other AWS Service.
AWS Queue Types
- High or unlimited throughput
- At least one delivery
- Duplicity is not possible
- Best offer ordering
- Limited throughput
- Exactly one processing
- Duplicity is possible
- First in first out ordering
As we know SQS is polling services from AWS.
There are two types of pulling.
Short polling – A request returns immediately even if a queue is empty and it does not wait for the message to appear in the queue.
Long polling – long-polling does not return a response until a message arrives in the message queue.
Billing is based on the API request. The first 1 million monthly requests are free. After that pricing is accordingly to the region which is mentioned at the official AWS page. For example, In Mumbai region
- Standard Queue – $0.40/million request
- FIFO Queue – $0.50/million request
With this information, you can decide and use as per the requisite volume.