This is a general list of questions the web development agencies ask their potential clients before the wordpress Ecommerce website development process begins.
- What is the purpose of the user’s website?
- Which type of product/products the user going to sell to the users through the online store?
- Whom is the user going to sell the products to?
- How is the user going to market his ecommerce store?
- What will the user use for the logistic support and payment gateway options?
- Which functionalities does the user going to provide users in the online store apart from the products?
- What kind of products the user is going to sell through this online store?(Physical, or Downloadable or both)?
Once the client finds out the answers of these question he can contact any web development firm regarding the development process of his/her online store through wordpress.There are really 3 components that make a “regular” website an “ecommerce” website: product pages, shopping cart, and a checkout process.
Process of wordpress ecommerce store development
- This process requires the setup of wordpress in the local environment of the web developer.
- Once this is done, the developer needs to install the woocommerce plugin from the plugin directory of the wordpress.
- The woocommerce installation process depends on the theme selected by the user, if the user wants to install it in the readymade theme or wants to design custom.
Installation process of woocommerce plugin
- Log into user WordPress Admin panel.
- Go to: Plugins > Add New.
- Type ‘WooCommerce’ in the Searchbox and hit Enter.
- Once found, user can view details on the point release, rating and description.
- Click Install Now.
- After clicking the link, user will be asked to confirm this action.
- Once the user clicks “Yes” button, the wordpress will complete the installation of the plugin.
- The user will have to activate the plugin from the Onboarding Wizard to understand its’ working process and adding some products in woocommerce.
Adding products in woocommerce.
The user can add the following type of the products depending on the requirements: Simple products, Grouped products, External/Affiliate products and Variable products.
- Once the user logs into the wordpress CMS, user will see the Dashboard page which is the main page of the website admin panel. Here is the screenshot of the same.
- To add the products in the website, the user will have to go to the products section in the left sidebar.
- Once user clicks on the Add Product link, On this page, he/she will see a textbox, a textarea and a product short description fields. User has to insert the product title in the first textbox. Here is the screenshot of the same.
- User has to insert the product details in the “Product Short Description” textbox. Here is the screenshot of the same.
- Once user adds the product title and product description in the fields mentioned in the two points above this point, user has to select the Product Categories in the right sidebar. Here is the screenshot of the same.
- User has to see the main category in the right sidebar and the user has to just tick the checkbox provided against the category name in the main category to assign product in it.
- Once the user assigns the product in the desired category, he has to upload the product image from the Set product image link provided in the bottom right sidebar.
- The product image must be of specific size which needs to be uploaded here. Here is the screenshot for the same.
- Once the user sets all the details of a product with the product image, user has to click on the Publish button available in the top right corner to see the changes in the website.
- If there are multiple images in a product (1 main image and 1 secondary image), user has to set the main product image by clicking on the “Set product Image” link in the bottom right corner.
- To display secondary image in the same product, user has to click on the “Add product gallery images” in the bottom right corner.
- User has to assign the main image of the product by clicking the “Set product Image” link in the bottom right corner in this product.
- User has to assign the remaining image of the product by clicking the “Add product gallery images” in the bottom right corner.
The process of adding product categories (brands) in woocommerce is as described below:
- Once the user logs into the wordpress CMS, he will see the Dashboard page which is the main page of the wp website admin panel.Here is the screenshot of the same.
- The user has to access the categories section from the products section in the left sidebar in the wordpress admin panel.
- Once the user clicks on the categories section a new page with the list of the categories will open up.
- User has to insert the sub category name which he wants to add in the main product category in both the Name and Slug fields.
- User has to select the Parent from the dropdown menu in which he wants to assign the sub category.
- User has to select the option Default from the Display type drop down menu.
- User has to assign the thumbnail image to be displayed on the website.
- User has to click on the Update button below to check the changes in the website. Here is the screenshot of the same.